1. What's wrong with this picture
"If a collection of values is atomic, store them together. Meaning, if you always care about the entire group, if you never search for nested values and never sort by nested values, then they should be stored together as a single field value. If not, they should be stored in a separate table, each value bring a row, each assigned the parent ID (foreign key) of a record on the other table that "owns" them as a group. For more info, search on the term "database normalization".
Some databases, support an array as a data type. For example, Postgres allows you to define a column as a one-dimension array, or even a two dimension array. If your database does not support array as a type of column definition, transform you data collection into an XML or JSON support if your database your database supports that type. For example, Postgres has basic support for storing, retrieving, and non-indexed searching of XML using XPath. And Postgres offers excellent industry-leading support for JSON as a data type including indexed support on nested values. Going this XML/JSON route can be an exception to the normalization rules I mentioned above." --Response to the Quote of the Week listed next, StackOverflow.com
2. Quote of the Week
"I'm currently trying to design a database and I'm not too sure about the best way to approach a dynamically sized array field of one of my objects. My first thought is to use a column in my object to store an array of integers. However the more I read, the more I think this isn't the best option. Concrete example wise, I have a player object that stores 0 to many items, which are represented by an integer. What is the best way to represent this?" --StackOverflow.com
3. To Laugh or Cry?
4. Of Interest
- Robic, B., THE FOUNDATIONS OF COMPUTABILITY THEORY (Purchase via this link to support the site)
- How Technology Hijacks People’s Minds
- Experts on the Pros and Cons of Algorithms
5. Now available
THE DBDEBUNK GUIDE TO MISCONCEPTIONS OF DATA FUNDAMENTALS available to order here.Reviews
And now for something completely different
Now @The PostWest
Unbounded Greed and Hypocrisy - Corporate Zillionaires Pretend What They Congenitally Lack--Immigrant Compassion--To Profit from Exploiting Both Them and American Workers.
My Take: Being "better than Obama" on Israel does not require much. But there was never a reason to put much trust in any election promise by Trump, or by anybody else, for that matter. Even if a politician is not an anti-semite--and that's very rare these days--he is surrounded by a uniformly anti-semitic world and advisors and under huge anti-semitic pressures. "Art of the Deal" Trump is not one to resist them. Jews have always been the only soft target, so fuck'em.
- Trump is doing everything he said he would -- except on Israel
- Trump says 'chance' he'll move embassy, but admits there are 'two sides'
- As president, Trump less gung-ho about dramatic changes in Israel policy
- Trump Administration Committed to Upholding Iran Deal
- White House leaves out attacks in Israel on list of 78 ‘underreported’ terrorist acts
- White House says new Israeli settlements 'may not be helpful'
- US, PA officials said to hold secret meet to discuss policy
- The Trump Administration's Flirtation With Holocaust Denial
- White House nixed Holocaust memorial text that mentioned Jews
- White House:'Nitpicking' over Holocaust statement 'pathetic'
- Why Trump’s universalizing of the Holocaust matters to the Jews
Anti-semitism? Nah, just "criticism of Israel's policies".
- Anti-Semitism at highest level on record
- US Jewish centers rocked by third wave of bomb threats this month
- Jean-Marie Le Pen charged over apparent anti-Semitic pun
- Cartoon of IDF soldiers on NY state exam called ‘anti-Israel propaganda’
- Citing ‘foreign policy interests,’ Switzerland withholds data on BDS funding
- German schoolbook publisher apologizes for anti-Semitic illustration
- Hacked printers at 3 US colleges produce anti-Semitic fliers
- "Jews still seeking to destroy our churches"
- Danish teen charged with plotting to bomb Jewish school
- Socialist primary winner in France had backing of prominent anti-Semites
- Swastikas found at Stanford University for second time in a month
- Jewish student at Wisconsin college receives note ‘You should be gassed’
- Anti-Israel UK lawmaker blames Jews for rising anti-Semitism
- Mass. teacher suspended for disclosing student’s swastika slur
- Windows broken, swastikas placed at Chicago synagogue
- Swastika drawn on base of founders statue at Rice University
- Employees of UN agency praise Hitler, Hamas on Facebook
- Canada pol finds swastika and 'F– k Jews' carved in snow
- Italian judge Soccer chants about Jews not hate speech
- Canadian student leader urges Twitter users to ‘punch a Zionist today’
- Chicago ‘Jewish Voice for Peace’ Speaker Palestinian terrorist
- Why doesn't Trudeau condemn anti-Semitic incitement in Canada
The Palestinians: Nice people, let's give them a state!
- Gaza's infrastructure on the verge of collapse but Hamas has fully restored the military capability it lost in the wake of the 2014 Operation Protective Edge
- Yahya Sinwar can ignite Israel’s south — and may want to
- Qatar’s Gaza envoy hails his ties to Israel, says PA is stalling on solution to Gaza power shortage
- WATCH Attempted Terror attack in Hevron
- New Hamas video calls for 'accurate fire' on Israel
- Watch Six wounded in Petah Tikva terror attack
- Hamas welcomes Petah Tikva attack
- Hamas: Wanting to stay alive is evidence of Jewish cowardice
Book of the Week (Order via this link to support this site)
Article of the Week
Video of the Week
Site of the Week
Note: I will not publish or respond to anonymous comments. If you want to say something, stand behind it. Otherwise don't bother, it'll be ignored.
Do you like this post? Please link back to this article by copying one of the codes below.URL: HTML link code: BB (forum) link code: