- Review by Craig Mullins: A Useful Guide to Data Fundamentals from Fabian Pascal.
- Review by Todd Everett.
1. What's wrong with this picture
"First of all, let me say that I no longer regard view updating as a fully solved problem. A year ago or so I thought it was--but then Hugh Darwen started to ask some hard questions and I realized I was wrong. (David McGoveran will probably disagree with me here.) That said, I remain optimistic that the problem is solvable. The discussion in my 8th Ed. is generally along the right lines, though it gets some of the details wrong." --C. J. Date
2. Quote of the Week
"SQL is the lingua franca for retrieving structured data. Existing semantics for SQL, however, either do not model crucial features of the language (e.g., relational algebra lacks bag semantics, correlated subqueries, and aggregation)." --Konstantin Weitz, homotopytypetheory.org
3. To Laugh or Cry?
4. Added to the SOFTWARE:
5. Of Interest
- Are Venn Diagrams Limited to Three or Fewer Sets?
- Object-Oriented Programming is Bad
- On metadata
- On the Wrong Side of Algorithms
- Unthinking Machines
And now for something completely different
The PostWest (The future of the West is all behind it)
and what good is this, then?
The eternal scapegoat
- Wrong from the start: Why John Kerry failed to advance Israeli-Palestinian peace
- Most Democrats: Israel is ‘a burden’ on US, has too much influence on policy
- Jews targeted most in post-election hate crime spree
- Keith Ellison’s ascent signals the Democrats’ willingness to redefine 'pro-Israel'
If you liked what they did to Sillicon Valley, you'll love what they'll do to America
- Trump to hold summit with tech leaders
- The Year Silicon Valley Went Morally Bankrupt
- Inside the Frightening 'Libertarian Island'
- Many CEOs believe technology will make people 'largely irrelevant'
- Silicon Valley’s Wealth Gap
- Criticism of the super-rich is like the Holocaust
- Silicon Valley’s Middle Class is Shrinking as Wealthy Prosper
- San Francisco homelessness by the numbers
- Middle-Market Woes Inspire Starbucks’s Bet on Luxury Coffee
They'll stop destroying only when there's nothing left
They share the same carbon print
Article of the week
Video of the week
Pinch-me of the week
Book of the week (Purchase via this link to support the site)
Prince, N., ALL THE PRESIDENT'S BANKERS
Note: I will not publish or respond to anonymous comments. If you want to say something, stand behind it. Otherwise don't bother, it'll be ignored.
Do you like this post? Please link back to this article by copying one of the codes below.URL: HTML link code: BB (forum) link code: