- Why is it so hard to get SQL performance right the first time
- Why Are There No Relational DBMS's
- SchemeUnit and SchemeQL: Two Little Languages
1. Quote of the Week
"The real definition of Big Data?? Simple: Whatever does not fit in Excel!"
Me: What is--precisely, pls!--the threshold from small to big data? And how do the structural, manipulative and integrity aspects change over the threshold?
HM: Big data := the smallest set of data for which the sensitivity of your transfer function is minimal, and such that the cardinality of this set is too large to implement said transfer function on a single physical machine.Transfer function := though not strictly a function, as in the Lambda calculus, it is more of an operator which ingests data of any size and produces a monetizeable product or service. Sensitivity := the degree to which a perturbation on the input into a transfer function affects the result produced by said function.
Me: Ugh! I'm sure that's exactly what all the overnight data scientists, including those who invented Big Data, had in mind.--LinkedIn.com
2. To Laugh or Cry?
- SQL is just fine, thank you! (my comments)
It's a bit ironic that SQL is being called "awesome" because it has a feature for "running totals" that relies on row ordering --Erwin Smout
They have just discovered "the prevailing application-centric mindset that gives applications priority over data"?
3. Online Debunkings
4. Of Interest Elsewhere
5. And now for something completely different.
Ah, the Vatican: Nazi and Muslim immigrants only, certainly not Jews.
"Some of the very traits that make Pope Francis so admirable and beloved may actually turn out to be open to manipulation."
How about solidarity with Mid-East Christians oppressed, killed and driven away by Muslims?
- Pope of the people, and the politics, in historic U.S. visit
- Govt. workers have right to refuse gay marriage licenses pope
- Iran invites black Americans to discrimination conference
- Saudi UN envoy to remain head of influential human rights panel
Do you like this post? Please link back to this article by copying one of the codes below.URL: HTML link code: BB (forum) link code: